Juan Steenkamp obtained his Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Therapy at the University of the Free State in 2004
Since 2005 he has been working in the field of paediatric Occupational Therapy in the Middle East, North and Southern Africa. He is registered with the following councils and organisations:
Practice Coding Numbering System, Board of Health Funders. (Practice Number 0214310)
Registered therapist with the Health Professions Council-South Africa. (OT 0064327)
Member: OTASA – Occupational therapy Association of South Africa
Member: INSTOPP – Institute of Occupational Therapists Private Practice in South Africa.
Juan Steenkamp Occupational Therapy Practice
The Juan Steenkamp Occupational Therapy Practice is situated in suite 2, 3 Warwick Place, Pinetown. It is easily accessible from the King Cetshwayo highway and the M7. It serves clients from the upper highway area to Durban central and the greater Durban areas.
The practice is equipped with the latest standardized and non-standardized occupational therapy assessments. Quality therapeutic interventions are provided with well-maintained and up to date diagnostic and intervention equipment.
The Juan Steenkamp Occupational Therapy Practice has a client/family centre approach, where the client and his/her caregivers become part of the assessment and intervention team. Confidentiality is assured, and all documents and information are protected as per the POPI act. No information will be discussed or shared with other parties unless written consent is given by the client’s parents/family/caregivers.
The practice provides a safe and understanding area where focus is placed on functional participation and optimal living.
The practice is running on a cash practice system, where the client is liable for the payment for each completed session. Medical aid clients will be provided with a detailed invoice which they can submit to their medical aids and claim back their therapy fees as per their respective medical aid agreements.
Juan Steenkamp Occupational Therapy offers paediatric assessments and treatments for children between birth and 18 years old. His focus includes –
- Program development
- Consistent, quality care
- Patient and family focused therapy
- Group, one to one and class setting interventions
- Developing and building transparent communication channels and collaboration with multi-disciplinary professional team members
- Family and caregiver education
- Home program development and implementation
- Appropriate and realistic goal setting
- Early identification and prevention
- Empowering individuals and families to live a functional and productive life
Mr. Steenkamp acquired the following postgraduate qualifications and certifications
Diploma in Applied Behaviour Analysis: Applied Behaviour Analysis (autism and related disorders)
City Colleges Ireland － Ireland
Level 1 Sensory Integration Perspective, University of Southern California and Western Psychological Services, Presented by Gretchen Reeves
Certificate in Neuro-Developmental Therapy (Basic Paediatric Bobath Therapy), South African Neuro-Developmental Therapy Association, Pietermaritzburg
Since 2005, Mr. Steenkamp participated in regular continued professional education opportunities which included the following topics
- Work Assessment
- Medico Legal Assessment and Report Writing Workshop
- Basic Seating Training, Including
- Hardware and Cushions, Module 1-3
- Basic Buggy Workshop, Module 4
- Blood Borne Pathogen Exposure Control Plan Certification
- Symposium on Autism for Professionals Saudi Council for Health Specialties Approved
- Basic Life Support Instructor Course
- Functional Independence Measure (FIM) Hospital Certification (two days)
- Prevention of Disability Through the Early Detection of Hereditary Diseases workshop
- Peabody Developmental Motor Scale-2 In-Service Activity
- 9thCOTEC Congress of Occupational Therapy
- Saudi Physical Therapy Conference
- 5th Advanced Course for Medical Doctors on Child Abuse
- Second Saudi Occupational Therapy Conference, Autism Spectrum Disorders Workshop
- INSTOPP Practice Management Course KZN 13, 14 September 2018
- Exploring Infant Behaviour Course 2, 3 August 2018, Pretoria
Since 2006, Mr. Steenkamp participated in the following presentations, publications and lecturing opportunities
Occupational Therapy Journal of South Africa, Research Project in The Faculty of Health Science, University of the Free State, South Africa Titled: The Short-Term Effect of a Life Skills Program on the Emotional Intelligence of a Grade R Learner. South African Journal of Occupational Therapy, Volume 36, number 3, November 2006
Nursing Paediatric Course, Education and Staff Development Department, Sultan Bin Abdulaziz Humanitarian City, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Presented 3 Presentations Titled: The Importance of Play and Stimulation of the Hospitalized Paediatric Patient
Paediatric Team In-Service Training, National Guard Health Affairs, King Abdulaziz Medical City, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Presented 3 Presentations: Occupational Therapy and Spinal Muscular Atrophy, Vision and Occupational Therapy, The Transdisciplinary Team Approach
Occupational Therapy Team In-Service Training, National Guard Health Affairs, King Abdulaziz Medical City, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Presented 2 Presentations: International Classification of Function Approach, The Team Approach for Occupational Therapy Teams.
2010 – 2012
Rehabilitation Team In-Service Training, National Guard Health Affairs, King Abdulaziz Medical City, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Presented 2 Presentations: The Team Approach in Transdisciplinary Teams, Sensory Integration Perspective.
Paediatric Nursing Team In-Service Training, National Guard Health Affairs, King Abdulaziz Medical City, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Presented 6 x 2 Presentations: Occupational Therapy in The Acute Paediatric Hospital Setting, Splinting and Positioning of Paediatric Patients.
Occupational Therapy Final Year Students Lectures, King Saud University, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Presented 12 lecture sessions on Developmental Theories in Perspective.
Occupational Therapy Students Workshop, King Saud University, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Presented 1 presentation: Paediatric Assessment.
Second Saudi Occupational Therapy Conference, National Guard Health Ministry, King Abdulaziz Medical City, KingSaud Bin Abdulaziz University for Health Specialties, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Presented Presentation: Developing Occupational Therapy in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.